Tuesday, February 10, 2009

new voice

I've been in talks for a few weeks with Marcus Amaker, editor of Preview, the weekly entertainment magazine of the Post and Courier, Charleston's daily newspaper, about a jazz column.
I heard from him yesterday saying it was a go.
So now, I have a new voice, a new outlet for my musings on my favorite art form totally from my point of view, no less.
I'm no stranger to the newspaper. Until a few months ago I worked there for 24 years, doing everything from clerking to sports writing to copy editing to feature writing to arts and entertainment criticism to community news gathering.
Writing about jazz is not the most of what I did there but it was my favorite.
I'm a longtime fan and I've been in tune with it for one of its most interesting periods, the last half of the twentieth century until now.
Over the course of its 200-plus year history, the paper of record in one of the country's most historic cities has not been known for its embrace of modern culture.
Evidently, that's changing - slowly, but inexorably.
I'm glad to have the shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment