Tuesday, March 8, 2011

god is love

"God is my friend, Jesus is my friend
He made this world for us to live in, and gave us everything
And all he asks of us is we give each other love."
(Anna Gaye, Elgie Stover, James Nyx, Marvin Gaye)
Performed by Marvin Gaye and the Funk Brothers

Marvin Gaye was right. God is love. His musical rendition of that truth from his 1971 What's Going On album is one of the prettiest songs ever. Its spiritual content ensconced in beautiful musical notes never gets old. I loved it then and I love it now.
This afternoon, I had an experience that confirms he's right.
There's always evidence of things unseen.
I was alone at a small table at Five Loaves cafe enjoying a salad and some tea. About halfway into my savoring my delicious and nutritious meal, my server came over and suggested I save room for desert - not the usual entreaty offered at restaurants but because two young women at a nearby table wanted to buy me desert.
Intuitively, I knew who she was talking about. I was sitting in the front of the restaurant so all the floor space was in front of me and this day I had decided not to read or otherwise zone out while eating.
I had noticed them at a table with an older woman and a middle-age couple. We had exchanged glances a couple of times, not a furtive flirt, just pleasant acknowledgment. They appeared to be enjoying their meal and their company. They had smiling eyes and a fresh, clean aura. No guile. Like the bright, airy day outside.
I couldn't turn down their hospitality, so when I finished my salad I ordered a chocolate chip cookie.
They finished their meal before me. After paying, the older woman came over and said that her daughters noticed and liked my smile and wanted to buy me desert.
I was humbled.
We all introduced ourselves. Meeting the girls' mother and grandparents was as delightful as their vibe.
It was the best meal I've had in a long time.
I was fed more than salmon and greens. I had food for the soul.
I'm just thankful my light was shining enough this day to attract theirs..
My faith was not only confirmed, it was energized.
God is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment