Thursday, September 24, 2009

a contradiction of race

In the aftermath of writing a story on Charleston composer Edward Hart, it occurred to me that it's impossible to tell a Charleston story without race being a factor, directly or implicit.
Hart is about to have a piece performed by the Charleston Symphony Orchestra, an interesting one, "Three Latin Rivers." I've written about him before when I was on staff at the Post and Courier. He's very good at what he does - musician, composer, producer, professor - so when I heard about the CSO gig, I pitched the Post and Courier about a story on Ed's piece. The editors agreed.
What fundamentally attracted me to the project is that it's a great Charleston story. Like Ed, I'm a native Charlestonian and I understand our aesthetic.
So, with much anticipation I began reporting the story a few weeks ago, interviewing, reflecting and researching until I got my arms around what I thought the essence of the story to be.
When I got to working on the part of the story that puts Hart's work in historical perspective, I was reminded of the work of another Charleston composer, Edmund Thornton Jenkins.
I also admire Edmund's work. In fact, when I became aware of him about 30 years ago, it was a serious epiphany for me. His story is one of the best against-all-the-odds stories I know of.
Citing Edmund in Ed's story revealed some contradictions that are always the backdrop for stories about Charleston culture and history.
Race.
Edmund is African American, the son of the legendary minister, the Rev. Daniel Joseph Jenkins, founder of the famed Jenkins Orphanage.
Ed is white and a descendant of a very prominent, music-oriented Charleston family.
Edmund's work peaked in the early twentieth century.
Ed's work is peaking in the early twenty-first century.
Edmund practiced his crafts in Europe. There was no career outlet for a black composer in Charleston during his time. He is virtually unknown.
Ed lives and works in his hometown where he is respected and receives the attention he deserves. His work is known around the world.
Ultimately, I was also reminded of the resolution of these Charleston contradictions. It has to do with the matter that makes up this place, one of the most unique in the history of the world.
Both Edmund and Ed have infused the historical and cultural makeup of Charleston into their work - concepts such as its indigenous music, land, waters, climate and way of life.
These elements are so strong, they bridge even the racial divide, the strongest one in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment