Sunday, September 27, 2009

more compelling evidence of a theory

It was with a great deal of pride that I attended the 2009 MOJA Arts Festival's jazz cabaret at the College of Charleston's Cistern last night.
It was headlined by the heralded vocalist Lalah Hathaway, daughter of the late, legendary singer Donny Hathaway.
Charlestonnan Charlton Singleton, son of the Rev. Charles and Jeanette Singleton of Awendaw, led an octet that opened up for Lalah.
It has been my contention fo a while now that the jazz musicians in the Lowcountry are as good - in a lot of instances better - than any in the world.
Some are bemused by my opinion. Some laugh. But a growing number is beginning to agree with me.
It would be confirmed in their minds if they were at The Cistern last night.
Charlton's band kicked the shit out of its set. It pierced the hot, humid air with well executed sounds that thrilled the audience.
I was hanging with artist Jonathan Green, film producer Debra Rosen, S.C. Arts Commission director Bud Ferillo and his wife, Julia. We have business on a film project of Bud's and decided to dilute our talks with some entertainment Saturday. It was perfect since I'm likely to pull Charlton in on the project as it develops. He's a helluva composer and arranger as well as a monster trumpet player.
Given the let-down that came a couple of songs into Lalah's set, we left for quieter surroundings so we could go back to work.
Charlton put this band together especially for this show, comprising Quiana Parler's rhythm section and three of his instrumentalist colleagues.
I talked with trombonist Stephen Spaulding earlier today about the band and show, congratulating him and thanking him for representing Charleston the way they did.
He talked a bit about how Charlton really wanted this one to go well. As I certainly know, Charlton is not mean spirited or vindictive but, according to Stephen, he really wanted this one to go well. I believe that.
Stephen said that over the course of rehearsals and the show, he had never seen the competitive side of Charlton like he did on this project. They're approaching 40-years old and they have known each other and played music together since middle school.
The homegrown octet, including Quiana on vocals, offered up a highly nuanced program of contemporary jazz that was dynamic, extremely tight and varied in styles. The band covered Sting, Jeff Lorber, Prince and Bob Marley, among others. Everybody swung like all get-out. Quiana's approach Saturday rivaled the attack of Chaka Khan or Aretha Franklin - on the money and full of strength and conviction.
Charlton also sang lead and backup.
Nothing I heard Lalah and her band do for as long as I stayed even came close to our people.
I doubt very seriously if anything radically changed after I left. I spoke today with some people who were there and they confirmed my suspicions.
She wasn't bad. Charlton was just amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment